Drawer Pulls with Electronic Components
The materials and substances used in this experiments are poisonous and harmful. Here we do NOT teach how to handle the chemical substances. Be aware that the mishandling of those substances can cause permanent injury and death.
Information provided here might be wrong! It is your responsibility to use the information within this pages with caution and safety. Be warned! Work in a well-ventilated space with resin.
Easy Steps to Start Playing with Resins
- Gather all the material you will need
- Well ventilated room
- Safety equipment (latex gloves, eye protection googles, face mask against fumes, a lot of water and soap nearby)
- Silicone rubber + catalyst agent
- Polyester resin (in Brazil we call it crystal or transparent) + catalyst agent
- Styrene monomer
- Components to be embedded
- Prepare your silicone mold, watching the videos bellow (the aim of this article is to make resin not silicone molds) - you can find a plethora of video on youtube.
- Once you have your silicone molds ready, we should start preparing the resin!
- Mix the resin (without the catalyst agent) with the styrene monomer in this ratio 20:1 (5%). The styrene will make the resin more fluid (less viscosity) and will allow a bubble less resin to be mixed.
Add 1% of catalyst agent to the mix of resin and styrene. the ratio of catalyst to resin should be 1:100 for hot weather (>20ºC) and 2:100 for cold weather (or 1:50).
- Try to mix gently avoiding the formation of bubbles.
- Apply the first layer of resin to the mold and wait 15 - 30 minutes
- Add some components
- Prepare another portion of resin + styrene + catalyst and aply over the components
- Continue this process till you finished the whole volume of your mold
- Don´t forget to put a screw on top of it!
- After waiting at least 24 hours you can remove your handles from the silicone mold
- Now the sad part! Start with sandpaper #100 and go up to #1200. Have some snacks (don't poison yourself!) and friends to help you up.
- Use car polishing paste to finish the work
- Embedded RFID ICs to allow fast and easy detection of the drawer content
- Turn on LEDs with inductive coupling when the drawer is closed
Where To Buy
In Rio de Janeiro the best place I found till this day is the one bellow:
Lokalfibra Comercial Ltda
- Rua Bela, 818 , São Cristóvão - Rio de Janeiro, RJ - 20930-380 Fone: (21) 2589-2988 - Fax: (21) 3878-2174 Fone Adicional: (21) 3878-2174
- Prices (good for July 2010)
- 1kg Silicone Rubber = R$28,00
- 1kg Polyester Resin (crystal) = R$16,00
Nice (final) Results [before & after polishing)
After the not so good results before I tryied to use a polishing machine!
The result wass great, as you can see by yourself bellow:
Capacitor Handle Drawers
LED Handl Drawers
Integrated Circuit Handle Drawers
Diode Handle Drawers
+ HowTo (tutorials)
+ Materials (matéria prima)
- Como fazer botões para "Futebol de Botão" - por Téo Benjamin (missing link)
Last change: 16 August 2010